Sunday, May 2, 2010

Village

When we embarked on our Belizean Adventure, I never would have thought I would have formed the wonderful relationship with my teacher as I did. After out first meeting, she invited me to her house, which was right around the corner from where we were staying. Stephanie and I shared a 1 evening of many with both Loreni and her husband Luis. Having our new friends show us around town allowed us to see more of the culture in 1 night then we may have even experienced. While we spent much time together on the island, I was overwhelmed and honored by an invitation to go home with them to their village on mainland Belize in San Joaquin located in the Corozul District.

This was the experience I had been wanting since I began showing interest in the Peace Corps. The opportunity to truely see how the people of Belize lived.

I took the puddle jumper into Corozul. The sight was quite different then the flight into San Pedro. Here, everything was green and flat. I was pointed out the various villages as we flew over them. To me, a village is like a subdivision. It is about he same size, just with it being more of a community where everyone knows each other. I was told that her family lived a very simple life. They were comfotable with what they had and really that is all that matters.

The area was largely populated by native Spanish speakers. I was informed early on that her parents spoke little English. We managed to communicate fairly well though using a unique Spanglish and hand gestures. I believe that if I had stayed in a Village such as this for 5 weeks I would have learned Spanish easily.

Even with the slight language barrier, I was welcomed with open arms into their home. One of the first sights to great me, was a huge turkey walking around. Through the backyard, I could see many chickens and turkeys that the family raised, then sold. They also had different trees and crops that were grown and sold for more money. Every Sunday, the mennonites come for the chickens that the family prepares. I was actually able to witness them 'preparing' the chickens. Not something you would usually see occuring in someones backyard.




At the time I visited, the people staying at the house were Loreni's Parents, Loreni and Luis, Loreni's two brother and her sister-in-law and her baby Justin. This did make for some close quarters, yet we made it work quite nice. The house was small by our standards, yet the were comfortable. There were 3 small bedrooms, a living room and a small kitchen. Not enough beds for everyone, hammocks were set up in areas of the house that were slept in. The 7 month old baby lives inland with the family and not on the island with Loreni. The reason is partially money related, and also that they woukd rather leave the baby with family. Justin usually naps in a hammock, but will sleep in the bed with the Grandmother. A mosquito net covers the baby when he sleeps to protect him.

The family only had 4 channels on the tv and had no internet connection. Water was retrieved from the well in the backyard. There was an indoor shower, but there was no hot water. If you wanted a shower with with warm water, you had to fill a bucket with regular water, then add boiled water until it was the temperature you wanted. Then from the bucket, you use a bowl to pour the water over your head. It was an interesting experience. You get so use to just hoping in to take a shower, having to prepare then 'work' for your shower was a new experience.

While I only spent a short time with the family, I really enjoyed my time getting to know them. I formed a bond that will stay with me forever. As I said goodbye to my new friends with hugs and well wishes, I'll always remember the last thing that was said to me.

"Always remember your Belizean family."

No comments:

Post a Comment