Friday, March 26, 2010

Under the Sea aka (The Little Mermaid has nothing on us!)

The first view of the ocean here in Belize will absolutely take your breathe away. Never in my life have I seen water that was as blue and clear as it is here on the island. Standing on the dock, you can look down and see the various sea life such as the colorful fish and even crabs. (Ah! I know I hate crabs!) I knew the first day I stood on the dock looking out over the water I had to go snorkeling for a closer look.





Friday afternoon, when our work day was over, Stephanie, Aubrey, Katy and myself grabbed our gear and our underwater cameras and headed to the dock at Ramon's. Ramon's is one of the more 'touristy' resorts and the place you probably imagine when you picture staying on a beach in the Caribbean. Their dock has a wonderful place to snorkel with a man made reef right off of it as well as a convenient ladder to help you out of the water. Katy was our resident expert, so following her lead we jumped in!




The view above the water was amazing, but the view under the water was absolutely indescribable. Under the dock, there was a school of fish with over a hundred fish just hanging out. Swimming out to the man-made reef, the variety of fish you could see was fascinating. The fish were all different colors swimming through the reef creating a rainbow of color. Not scared at all, the fish would come up and swim right up to you and go about their way. The water was so clear you would think you were looking through an aquarium. I thought the water was a perfect temperature, cold enough to cool you off from the hot day, but warm enough where you could enjoy your time swimming around. We had such a great time we returned the next day. I look forward to going snorkeling more during my stay here at a variety of different places. I have hope my next snorkeling adventure will take me to swim with some sharks!


1 comment: